For people who want more discretion over when they take distributions from their retirement account, a Roth IRA may be an ideal option. You can invest up to $5,500 of earned income, tax-free (or up to $6,500 if you are over 50), and unlike Traditional IRAs you are not required to take distributions at age 70 ½, and you can continue making contributions with earned income at that point. Speak with a professional at First National to see if a Roth IRA is right for you.
- Individuals can invest up to $5,500 of earned income, tax-free. Those 50 and over can contribute up to $6,500
- Unlike a Traditional IRA, there is no requirement to take a minimum distribution at age 70 ½
- Anyone with earned income is eligible
- Contributions are not tax-deductible
- Traditional IRAs can generally be converted to Roth IRAs, although tax consequences may apply†
- Funds can be withdrawn without penalty once you reach the age of 59 ½, or before that subject to a 10 percent penalty unless exceptions apply††
- A qualified Roth distribution is a distribution of assets that are held in a Roth IRA for at least five taxable years (beginning with the first taxable year for which the Roth IRA holder made a Roth IRA contribution of any kind to any Roth IRA) and one of the following events occurs:
- Attainment of age 59 ½
- Qualifying first time home purchase
- A qualified distribution from a Roth IRA may be withdrawn tax and penalty free (bank fees may apply if you are breaking terms before account maturity)†
† Certain qualifications apply. Consult your tax advisor for more information.
†† Exceptions allowing for non-penalty early withdrawals include disability, qualifying medical expenses (under certain conditions), qualifying education expenses, unemployment (under certain conditions), qualifying first home purchase, and death.
Other Investment Options
Ask us about other investment options through First National Investments & Planning,* including U.S. Treasury Securities, municipal bonds, stocks, mutual funds and annuities.
* Securities products and advisory services provided by First National Capital Markets, Inc. (FNCM), a registered broker/dealer and registered investment advisor. Member FINRA and SIPC. Advisory services may only be offered by Investment Advisor Representatives in connection with an appropriate FNCM Advisory Services Agreement and disclosure brochure as provided. Investment products are: Not a Deposit Not FDIC Insured Not Insured by any Federal Government Agency Not Guaranteed by the Bank May Go Down in Value.
Financial Advisors are registered to conduct securities business and licensed to conduct insurance business in limited states. Response to, or contact with residents of other states will only be made upon compliance with applicable licensing and registration requirements. The information in this website is for U.S. residents only. The information on this website does not constitute an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to purchase brokerage services to persons outside of the United States.